Sunday, January 20, 2008

Weekend of awesomness

One of my best friends, Sarah, came up to New York from Washington D.C. for a long weekend, and I don't know if I could be more excited!

She got here early Saturday afternoon in time to help me finish grocery shopping. The fun here in New York never stops.

But I made it up to Sarah by making her stand in line with me in the cold for more than an hour so we could get 50 percent off tickets to see a Broadway show. (Hey - seeing a show was her idea!)

It was worth it, though, because we scored three tickets to Mamma Mia, which is one of the shows that Brent said he wanted to see. (Later, he told me that what he actually said was that Mamma Mia was the show he'd go and see willingly only if someone had held a gun to his head and told him he was going. Sigh.)

Even though he wasn't feeling well, he was a trooper as Sarah and I giggled and caught up with each other's lives while walking toward the theatre looking for a place to eat dinner.

After disagreeing on a few, we finally found one that was better suited for after-work drinks, but Sarah and I didn't really care because we got to sit on red velvet couches near coffee tables and felt like queens. Brent just went along with whatever we decided. He knows when he's outnumbered!


Since we weren't even sitting at a table, we ended up just ordered appetizers and sharing them all. That meant for dinner, I had nachos, brie, dumplings, and spring rolls. Awesome!


Though we didn't have the best seats for Mamma Mia (third from the back on one side) it was still a great show. The singing was phenomenal. I seriously never knew how good singing could be until I went to my first Broadway show.


While Sarah and I were enjoying the show, Brent was counting the number of songs he had to listen to until it ended. Not even ABBA could save the show for him. I do have to admit that the storyline was pretty silly, but it was funny, so I liked it, but not as much as Rent, of course.


After the show, Brent announced his retirement from seeing Broadway shows. Sigh. He's so not cultured.

But since he really wasn't feeling well, he walked us to the subway and headed home. Sarah and I weren't done having fun, so we did one thing I wanted to do - get some Pinkberry (see my Dec. 22, 2007 post) and one thing Sarah wanted to do - get some cupcakes at that famous bakery, Magnolia Bakery.


The bakery, which opened in the early 1900s on Bleecker Street near 11th Street in the West Village, is known for its dessert treats - most notably cupcakes. What other bakery do you know of that's open until 12:30 a.m.? And has a LINE of people outside waiting to get in at midnight?

But we understood why there was a line once we got close enough to see the brightly-colored chocolate and vanilla cupcakes decorated with sprinkles.

So even though the West Village after dark is a bit scary and deserted, the walk was worth it. I thought I'd like the chocolate ones much more than vanilla, but I was wrong. Vanilla cupcakes from Magnolia Bakery is where it's at. Y-U-M!!

And you know the cupcakes are good when my normally health-conscious fiance ate TWO in ONE day... on a non-cheat day, which is practically unheard of!

Maybe tomorrow I can get him to actually go to the museum!

No comments: