Tuesday, January 29, 2008

At least I didn't burn myself

I went to work at the coffee shop today with a new attitude.

A positive one.

I was in a good mood, so I took that good mood with me to work. My co-workers noticed and said I was much more spunky.

Brent made me feel a lot better about myself (love that man!) and my job, and that's what I was thinking about. Besides, there's something to be said about having a mindless job for awhile.

HA!

As I probably should have guessed, working at a coffee shop is anything but mindless. People N-E-V-E-R simply want coffee! OK, that I knew and that I can handle. People always want specialized drinks, but I can handle that as well because I have to learn how to make all those specialized drinks that the coffee shop offers.

The problems arise when people aren't just happy with a cappuccino. They want a wet decaf cappuccino with soy milk, 3 shots of espresso, whipped cream, and caramel topping.

My first response?

"Um, could you repeat that, like, seven times so I can process that please?"

My second response?

"What the heck is a wet cappuccino?" (I later learned it's one with more milk and less foam.)

My third response?

"Can I get some help here!?"

I'm sure all of it will become second nature once I get into the swing of things, but right now, it's not easy.

Plus, I'm sure I'm not making many friends, seeing since I spilled 100 sleeves into every single jug of milk, spilled half of a drink down my pant leg and on the floor, and dumped an entire plate of coffee cake that had just been stocked on the floor.

But at least the plate didn't break. Score one for me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! And they didn't fire you after all that? Sounds like you need to stay put.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmm coffee .............

Well, I'd be an easy customer for you. I'd either just get a house brew with a touch of cream or a skinny vanilla latte. Nothing too tough.

But I wouldn't worry about it too much. As many times as I went to Beaners and Barry's in college and the shops up here is Oshkosh, I still have no idea what all the lingo is. You'll get it though.