Monday, January 21, 2008

Dinosaur bones, sock mittens, and Chevy Chase

What do dinosaur bones, sock mittens, and Chevy Chase all have in common?

Well, they all showed up at some point or another during Sarah and I's amazingly fun and awesome Sunday!

Since we had the whole day ahead of us, Sarah decided to start it off on the right foot - with a cupcake for breakfast. I just stared at her over my shredded wheat. Compared to her, I'm really boring sometimes.

Then we went out into the freezing cold, hopped on the Subway, and headed to the American Museum of Natural History and ended up spending two-and-a-half hours there. (No, I couldn't get Brent to go. Boo!) But we barely made a dent at the museum - which we discovered as we were winding around exhibits we didn't know existed until we were trying to find our way out - something easier said than done.

But most of our time was spent on the top floor looking at the dinosaur bones and other animal exhibits - something we both found fascinating and fun. And we even had time left over to check out the space exhibit, which took us through a timeline of the history of our galaxy from the Big Bang until today. Space is awesome!

Afterward, we had some time to shop at Filene's Basement - home of the crazy brides stepping on each other to get discounted brand-name wedding dresses twice a year (thank God I already have mine - and it's gorgeous!!) and grab a delicious bite to eat at Ruby Foo's.

And since I'm such a great fiance, we made it home so I could make eggplant casserole for Brent, Sarah, and I (I make a homemade dinner every Sunday for Brent and I to enjoy together) and to chill out. The eggplant ended up being DELICIOUS, so Sarah and I ate up as much as we could, seeing since we had lunch about an hour before, before heading back out into the cold again to see if we could get tickets to a free comedy show at the Upright Citizen's Brigade Theatre.

It offers free shows on Sundays, so Sarah and I thought we could snag two tickets if we got there 45 minutes before they started handing them out.

We were wrong. They ran out of tickets about 10 people ahead of us. Crap.

We learned later that people start lining up for these shows at 6 p.m. because The Upright Citizens Brigade performs these improv shows with special guests and writers from Saturday Night Live, Late Night with Conan O'Brien, and The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. You never know who's going to show up.

So after waiting outside in the FREEZING cold, coupled with the frigid breeze, from about 7:40 until 8:20 p.m., Sarah and I decided to take our chances that we'd get standby tickets. But that meant standing outside in line for another hour. I don't do cold well at all, but was willing to suck it up for Sarah. I'm such a great friend.

I grabbed hot chocolate from a nearby Dunkin' Donuts, then Sarah and I started chatting up the four people ahead of us in line before Sarah and one of the guys ahead of us went into the supermarket we were standing next to to warm up.

After a few minutes, our new friend came out with those warming pads that warm up when exposed to air so you can stick them inside your gloves to keep your hands warm. And they were only $1.50 each. He bought enough for him and his friends, so I thought Sarah would be out any minute with some as well.

Sure enough, she came out with a shopping bag. My frozen hands could almost feel the heat. Until she pulled out a six-pack of socks. Socks?

She said since she couldn't find any gloves (she forgot to bring some to the theatre) it was either the socks or some oven mitts.

"WHY WAS IT BETWEEN SOCKS AND OVEN MITTS?" I asked her incredulously knowing that there was at least gardening gloves in there.

But she ignored me, put a pair of socks on her hands, and offered our new friends a pair of socks as I just shook my head. One of our friends actually accepted and took a pair of socks as mittens as well. Maybe Sarah will start a fashion trend.

Luckily, after nearly two hours of stamping our feet in the cold, we got into the theatre to see the ASSSSCAT 3000 show.

It was so totally worth it.

For the next 90 minutes, my abs got a total workout as I was cracking up from the second row at the improv delivered from about a dozen comedians - including Chevy Chase and Amy Poehler and Seth Meyers from Saturday Night Live.

From trying to get some on a ski slope instead of frostbite to stirring a vat of granola with, well, something you don't want to imagine that was ever, EVER even NEAR something that was going to be in your mouth, the show was brilliant. And it was free. What could be better?

I'll tell you now that I will no longer clap when I'm happy. I'm totally doing monkey arms.

No comments: