Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Soft boiled eggs with a side of sweater fuzz

Before Sarah caught her train to head back to Washington D.C. (sniff, sniff!) early Monday afternoon, we decided to grab some breakfast.

And I mean actual breakfast - not cupcakes!

On the advice of the friends we made in line while waiting for free tickets to the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre on Sunday night, we headed to Le Pain Quotidien Le Pain Quotidien on Seventh Avenue near Central Park - a restaurant that only serves organic foods.

I ordered the most amazing Belgian waffle I have ever eaten, which came topped with plump raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries, and Sarah decided to try a soft boiled egg because she wanted to see it come in a cute little metal stand that holds it vertically.

I had no idea that she didn't know how to eat a soft-boiled egg. But neither did I. So she decided to put the bottom of her spoon on the outer edge of it and put pressure on the egg towards her.

That is not the right way to open a soft-boiled egg, which we both discovered when the egg cracked and the yolk and whites of the egg flew all over Sarah's sweater and jeans.

The look on her face was priceless.

Luckily, I don't think anyone noticed - or if they did, they were being extremely successful at keeping their laughter to themselves. Unfortunately, I was not and laughed nearly as hard as I did when I was at the comedy club the night before.

After excusing herself to go to the bathroom and clean herself off, she came back with a new shirt and a big wet spot on her jeans to finish what was left of her egg and we busied ourselves spying on other customers to see how the eggs are actually eaten. (The tops are carefully cracked off and most dipped their spoons inside the eggs to eat what was inside.)

Now we know.

Even though Sarah left to go home shortly thereafter, (sniff, sniff!) it's those little moments that still keeps me smiling.

Love you girl!

No comments: