Thursday, March 25, 2010

So many options, but I don't FEEL like any of them. Bad place to be in.

Man I had a bad day at work today.

I had absolutely, positively NOT A SINGLE OUNCE of motivation to speak of. Not One. Single. Ounce.

It was one of those days where my interns were annoying the hell out of me, the clueless photographer was constantly asking me for direction, and I had extra peaks upon the mountains that have already formed on and around - for lack of space - my desk, but no clear direction on where to start and no motivation to actually start something. For awhile, I just sat there looking at all the work and thinking about how good it would be if I could just take a nap.

This happens to me every once in awhile, and not just at work. I come to a point where I just don't know what I want. I feel like how a new mother must feel when her newborn just won't stop crying and she just doesn't know why.

Staying at work wasn't appealing. Going home didn't sound much better. Sleeping might have been OK, but going for a walk or watching TV or shopping didn't excite me. I just didn't know WHAT I needed at the time, which is just so frustrating. I knew I needed something, but it wasn't like a pregnant-lady craving where I know I'll be satisfied once I have a pickles-and-ice-cream sundae. It was a craving for something I didn't understand. Sigh.

It wasn't until around 9:30 p.m. when I found what it was I needed. Fun. And friends. My friend Janine told me she planned to see Rusty The European Tour at Bar Nine - the same bar where I sang with said band on my birthday - and I was welcome to join her.

New York to the rescue. Again. Again I was able to simply just forget about the hellish day I had by donning my official Rusty The European Tour T-shirt, walking two blocks, going into an awesome dive bar, and letting loose with a beer in my right hand and my left hand up in the air while rockin' out to songs like "Pour Some Sugar On Me" "What's My Age Again?" and "Build Me Up Buttercup."

Beer, Best Buds, and Blink 182. Yup - that's just what I needed. If only it were as simple as pickles and ice cream.

No comments: