Thursday, March 11, 2010

Not so much a badass New Yorker

"So you've lived in the New York City area your entire life?" I asked Carl, the dealer who was teaching my boss and I how to play Texas Hold 'Em at a press event promoting Atlantic City.

"Yup," he said. "Grew up in New Jersey, live there now, but went to school in Manhattan. Where are you originally from?"

"What do you mean 'originally from,'?" I asked, jokingly. "Are you insinuating that I'm not from here?"

"I know you're not from here," laughed the salt-and-pepper-haired man whose 48th birthday was today. "I'd guess that you're from the Midwest."

"Toledo, Ohio," I responded. "But how did you know?"

"You have a Midwest face," he said, peering at me. "You've got this innocence in your face. It's just obvious."

Is it that obvious? Do us Midwesterners have an innocence look? Hmmmm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's funny you should be talking about Atlantic City in this blog because I was just looking at a map yesterday to see how close it was to where you live. I was seeing if it would be possible to go there and you guys to met us in Atlantic City for a weekend or something. Just a thought. Mom