Monday, March 15, 2010

Do I really want to hear, "Hmm. This may be more difficult than I thought" after being cut open?

"Soooooo after sleeping on it a few days, I've decided to go ahead with the surgery. What happens now?" I ask the breast surgeon who said he'd support me if I decided to remove the tumor in my breast.

"Well, we schedule the surgery," he says matter-of-factly. "What does your schedule look like?"

"Um, well, my mom is coming to town in early May, so can we schedule it then?" I ask like I'm a juvenile instead of a grown woman.

"Sure. How should I schedule it?" he asks.

"What do you mean?" I reply. I have no idea what he's talking about. I have never had anyone cut open my body before - I've done that just fine on my own - and am nervous as hell allowing this man I just met to come near me with a scalpel.

"Do you want to be awake or sedated?" he asks me.

This is right about at the point where I begin to wonder if complications from going under anesthesia outweigh the fact that if I decide to stay awake, I will be able to hear everything that's going on while the doctor will be using tools inside my body.

So I ask him what he recommends, and he said it pretty much depends on a person's personality. Some people choose to be awake so they can go home quicker and some don't even want to know what's going out, so they choose a deep sedation so they're asleep the entire time.

I like the idea of staying awake so I will be aware of everything in case there's any problems, but don't think I'd be able to handle it if any complications arose. I'm absolutely terrified, but like being as in control of any given situation as the situation allows.

But because he needs to know whether to schedule an anesthesiologist for my surgery, I told him to do so because I can always change my mind and tell said anesthesiologist not to sedate me.

"Are you crazy?" asked my husband when I told him that I was thinking of asking the doctor to stay awake during the procedure. "You are going under. There's no way you should stay awake and worry more than you're already going to worry. Just get there, go to sleep, and when you wake up, it will all be over."

It will all be over. Can't wait for that day. Sounds like a plan to me.


No comments: