Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Breaking a sweat and having fun doing it

I've said it before, and it's no secret: I absolutely hate the gym.

Other than having an opportunity to spend time with my now good friend, Janine, who I met at the gym, I really, REALLY had to guilt-trip force myself to go to the gym EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Sure, I had some fun taking some of the classes there, but it was the getting there part that was tough. And the gym is RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER from my apartment. Talk about LAZY.

So after awhile, even the ungodly amount of money I was spending at the gym wasn't enough of a motivation, so I quit the gym (along with Janine. Worst workout buddies ever.) And I was SOOOO happy about it... until I got my job at a gourmet food magazine where eating ALL DAY is practically a requirement. Sure, I could abstain every day from eating the delicious morning snack and the free gourmet lunch and the cookies, cake, or pastry at 4 p.m. tea time (yes, every day we have 4 p.m. tea time complete with dessert) but it's SO HARD 'cause all the food is SOOOO GOOD - for my taste buds, but not for my waste line.

So I bought something that would put me in the hall of fame for laziness if I didn't use it to exercise because it allows me to do so right in my living room: the Wii Fit Plus (the photo is the Miis of myself and Chloe).

And, lo and behold, it's actually become something I enjoy. I won't go so far as to say I look forward to it, but it is a lot of fun. Through it, I have learned that I put too much of my weight on my left leg (probably from trying to overcompensate from the groceries and work bag that I always sling over my right shoulder) and that I have horrific balance (and poor scores on the balance games to prove it).

The reason it works for me is the same way basketball works for me: I have fun doing it and, therefore, it doesn't feel like exercise. I love that when I jog in place, the game has Chloe trotting along beside me, and I get a kick out of the fact that Brent's two Miis are in my karate class and pop up in almost all the other games. Plus, I feel like a rock star when doing the step aerobics because I'm on a stage in front of a HUGE audience of cheering Miis.
I like that I am working toward a fitness goal and I can check my progress daily and am determined to meet it. I have two months. And so it begins...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've gotta try this when I am there. It does sound like fun. Mom