Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Yep: I have millions and my own TV show, yet I work at a coffee shop to stay humble

Everyone's heard something along the lines of, "Wow, you look just like (insert celebrity, other family member, the family dog, etc.)

Most often, I hear Sandra Bullock. People say we have the same smile or something. Sometimes I get Katie Holmes as well.

But this week at the coffee shop, I was working on something out on the floor, then went into the back room out of sight from the customers when I heard a lady asking my colleague, "Hey, is that her?"

He understandably was looking confused at the lady who was apparently pointing in my direction. So he called me out to the floor and she excitedly exclaimed, "Oh my God, is it really you?!?!"


Now since I'm not so conceited as to believe that she was actually excited to be seeing me, Erika Meller, I asked her who she thought I was.


"You're that girl who has her own show... Silverman," she said. "You're Sarah Silverman Sarah Silverman... aren't you?"


Now keep in mind that this lady looked relatively normal and not someone crazy who would see someone on the street and think he was Jesus or something. But I was at work. At a coffee shop. Wearing an apron. Why in God's name would she think a celebrity with her own show would moonlight as a barista?


So, without knowing what else to say, I simply said "No. Sorry."


"Oh, well you look just like her," she said before dejectedly turning away.

No comments: