Monday, August 3, 2009

Small fish in a big pond... oh who am I kidding? I'm a guppie in the freakin' ocean

Working at The Blade newspaper in Toledo, Ohio, I felt like a big fish in a small pond. I had the cell phone numbers of mayors, senators, and city councilmen programmed into my phone... and I called them at all hours of the day whenever I needed to talk to them for whatever story I happened to be working on at the time.

Granted, Toledo is a big city... if you consider a big city to boast a population of less than 300,000 people. Now I live in a city of 8 million, where on my very first visit to the city, I was told that New York City is "a city of anonymous people," according to the woman we stayed with while searching for a place.

And up until I interviewed at places in New York, I was batting .500 with job interviews; meaning if I interviewed at a place, I got the job.

Not so in New York. Here it is August, 2009, and I am still kicking myself for not going on a second interview in August, 2007, because I just didn't think it was the right job for me.

And while I still don't think it would have been the perfect right job for me, IT WAS A JOB AND I HAD A DAMN GOOD SHOT AT LANDING IT!!!

But I digress. Job interviews in New York are similar to those back in Ohio, yet I can still feel the added pressure of needing to be the creme de la creme not only because I'm in a much bigger pond (oh Hell, it's a damn ocean) but we're in a much tougher economy where there are literally thousands of people more qualified than me interviewing for jobs. (I recently visited a publishing house where I had recently applied for an editorial assistant job and was told that I applied for that job... along with 1,400 other people... And yes, that's ONE THOUSAND FOUR HUNDRED OTHER PEOPLE... who applied for that job THE. FIRST. WEEK. it was advertised.)

Yikes.

I'd say wish me luck, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to need much more than that.

No comments: