Wednesday, August 12, 2009

So this is what it's like to be old

Back home in Toledo, most of my friends who live there are married, have a toddler, and are either working on, or have, their second child.

Here in New York, I have exactly ZERO friends who have kids. NONE are married, and MOST don't even have a significant other.

New York City is a city for single people.

Don't get me wrong: I love being married and I love my husband. But because I'll be the second to admit that I'm a product of my environment (my husband will be the first), I sometimes get a twinge of jealousy at some of my friends' stories of just picking up and taking a weekend trip to Vegas or staying out until the bars close without a second thought.

If I wanted to go to Vegas, I'd have to make arrangements for my dog and husband to be fed and taken care of, and if I wanted to stay out until 4 a.m., I'd have to do so knowing that my husband isn't falling asleep until I'm home safe and sound.

But what makes it really intolerable is when my single friends whom I've introduced to each other go out without me. It's like I feel they're cheating on me or something because if it weren't for me, they wouldn't even know each other. And I also know that's not fair, but still. Just because I'm married doesn't mean I can't go out too!

I just have to be home at a decent hour.

Sigh. So this is what it's like to be old.

No comments: