Saturday, August 15, 2009

Getting hit on by two guys in one night? Probable. Getting hit on by two different guys at the same time? Probably never again.

This is not a good idea, I thought as I decided to pass a slow-walking guy wearing a black T-shirt and ridiculously baggy tan pants on a narrow and relatively deserted section of sidewalk near a building under construction adjacent to Central Park at 9 p.m. tonight.

"Hey miss can you turn around please," he quickly asked me just as I passed him on his left.


Dammit. I knew this was a bad idea, I cursed to myself as I picked up the pace as much as I could in my black high heels.


"Please turn around, miss, I think I know you if you'd just please turn around. Come on!" he said, louder as I put at least a half of block sidewalk between us until I reached the corner, and thus a more open area.


"Excuse me, miss," I hear. Just behind me.


What the hell? was my reaction because I thought I had put plenty of space between me and Baggy Pants Guy, I jumped and twirled around to glance at the guy who had apparently ran to catch up with me.


Thankfully, I saw Baggy Pants Guy still ambling along well behind this second, actually really attractive guy who I later thought I passed on the sidewalk while picking up my walking pace, and whom I thought said "hi" to me, but I was too busy just focusing on getting home.


"Geez, you scared me," I said to Attractive Guy fully anticipating his asking me if I was OK or asking me for directions or some other touristy thing (which, by the way, happens to me more often than I would have thought. But I will always help people out because I relied on so many friendly New Yorkers - yes they exist! - when I was new to the city.)


"I'm sorry I scared you, but are you one of my customers at [some bar or something] down in the East Village? You look so familiar," he said.


"No," I said shortly while glancing at the sign that still blared "Do Not Walk."


"Oh, well you just have one of those faces," he said. Then without hesitating, the inevitable, "Can I buy you a drink?"


"Oh, no thanks. I have to get home to my husband," I said wondering why the sign still hadn't turned to the "walk guy."


"Maybe another time?" he asked.


OK, maybe you didn't hear me. "No, I'm married," I emphatically told Attractive Guy.


"But it's just that you're so beautiful," he said.


Oh, well now that you said that I'm beautiful, that changes everything! Forget the drink, let's just go back to your place, I thought. With heavy sarcasm.


"Thank you. Bye," I said as I took advantage of the light finally switching to start to cross the street... at the same time Baggy Pants Guy finally made it to the corner.


"Hey baby, what are you doing tonight?" I hear from Baggy Pants Guy as I again try to put distance between us.

Even though neither guy's advances would have probably been welcomed, still, where were all these guys when I was still single?

No comments: