Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Do you burp him after you feed him his bottle, too?

Chloe and I go for our morning walk a few minutes after I get up in the morning (I have to wake up somehow, and usually a shot of cold morning air does the trick!) and go for our nighttime walk right before I'm ready to go to bed.

It's our routine, and other New Yorkers with dogs have a similar routine. Lately, Chloe and I have been seeing the same West Highland White Terrier on our morning walks. I notice the dog all the time because it's always wearing a sweater.

Some background: Here in New York, it's weird that my dog goes "naked" for walks. Granted, I understand the need for putting a sweater on your 1.5-ounce dog when you take it for walks in the winter, but does it really need a matching stocking cap and booties? It's a dog, for Christ's sake: it enjoys smelling rotting poop on the sidewalk... or at least my dog enjoys that.

Anyway, I always smile whenever I see the terrier and his elderly owner walking along in the morning because he's usually wearing what looks to be a hand-made sweater. Weird, but kinda cute.

But tonight, as we walked past that same dog and his owner on our nighttime walk, I had to stifle a laugh until I was out of earshot because THE DOG WAS WEARING PAJAMAS. More accurately, he was wearing a child's white onesie with yellow ducks printed all over it. No doubt that it wasn't just because he was going outside. It was because it was nighttime and almost time to go to bed.

Only in New York.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I once was in New York and saw a dog in a raincoat. Can you imagine that? Mom