Thursday, August 27, 2009

Since when does a birth-DAY last an entire week? (And of course I'm not talking about my own.)

I, like all people, have a birthday. That's right. A birth-DAY, meaning the ONE DATE I was born.

On that day, I, like many, get many well-wishes from family and friends and some presents to open as I celebrate turning yet another year older.

My husband, however, has a birthday WEEK.

That's right - seven days of celebration for no reason other than it's something he invented a few years ago to get spoiled for an extra six days.*

And just like the Christmas season, which has been starting earlier and earlier every year, he starts talking about his birthday week in early August. (His birthday week usually starts on the Saturday before his birthday so he can get "two weekends" of pampering.)

So although I don't generally change my normal routine during this invented 7-day occasion, I'll humor him by pointing out the nice things I do for him (which I'd be doing anyway) and telling him that I've done it for his birthday week.

Examples: "Why don't I do the laundry this week so you don't have to on your birthday week?" (The last time Brent did laundry was when I hadn't yet moved to New York.)

"What do you want me to cook for your special birthday week dinner on Saturday?" (I love cooking and do it as often as I can, which is generally just weekends.)

I actually do change my routine on his birthday because I believe everyone should be spoiled on their birthday, and do the same usually the closest Saturday before or after that date, which is when we have the most time together. This year, I made reservations at the Sea Grill at Rockefeller Center. (Note: I don't eat seafood. Wife of the year is in the bag!) I also wore a new dress (LOVE the fact that I get to buy something new and cute and tell my husband it's "for him") and new, red lipstick (that one will take a bit for him to get used to!) and tried my best to make sure he had a great day. That's right - a great DAY!

*So what happened when I tried to invent my own birthday week this past year? Vetoed. How is this fair?

2 comments:

~Breanne said...

We need to see pictures of Brent's beautiful wife on his birthday! New dress and red lipstick!...wow!

Anonymous said...

Yea, Where are these pictures? Mom