Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Right to Bare Breasts

Yet another reason I love being married: Clothing is optional and/or outfit choice - regardless of the fact that I may be (gasp!) wearing plaid with both stripes AND pastels AND socks with sandals - is always accepted.

I admit that I love the fact that I can walk around completely in the buff or bundle myself up in the most ridiculous unattractive and non-matching outfit to keep warm in the winter (which, to my husband's dismay, happens way more often than my walking around in the nude).

While I admit that I sometimes actually go into the outside world in my plaid/striped/pastel/socks-with-sandals outfits to quickly walk the dog while attempting to hide my face in a hoodie so no one will recognize me, I never have attempted to go outside without a shirt.

But apparently I can, and not even the police would have the power to stop me.

As if I needed yet another reason (which I most certainly do not), to love New York: New York is the only state in the country where women can be topless legally, after a 1992 ruling in the state's highest court. That means any woman can walk around the city at any time with no shirt on. Yet another equality finally reached!

While I was fine going topless on our honeymoon in France, thousands of miles away, bearing my breasts a mere two blocks away from my home/workplace where anyone living in my apartment building or anyone who drinks coffee could see me half naked is just a bit disconcerting.

But if I had the guts, I would definitely have joined in National Go Topless Day today (yes, there is such a thing!), held right around the corner in Central Park, in which dozens of topless women gathered and marched in the streets to show they had just as much a right to walk around shirtless as men. (The photo at the top of this webpage definitely makes a fantastic point!)

Even though I didn't have the courage, I totally respect every woman brave enough to bear all in the name of equality.

No comments: