Saturday, August 22, 2009

And all it took was a simple complement

Today was a bad day.

Not a single thing was going right at the coffee shop (where I have to still work for a few weeks until I can get my health insurance situation straightened out). People called out, the store was a mess from the night before, our machines were breaking, the customers were being especially and unreasonably demanding, and it wasn't even 8 a.m.

That's when Bill walked in. Bill has been my favorite customer since I really noticed him last Christmas.

Since that day, I've really started to get to know, and like, Bill. He's one of the few customers - which includes Craig, Glenda, Luke, and Alex - who I love to see every time I'm at work because when they're there, it doesn't feel like work anymore.

So when Bill strolled in much earlier than usual on a Saturday, I was happy to see him through all my frustration, and told him I was in much need of a boost of happiness.

"BILL! I need you to tell me good things. Tell me something good - ANYTHING. What's good in your life?" I asked him.

No hesitation, and this is what he says:

"Well, I just woke up and you're pretty much the first person I've seen this morning. And you look beautiful," he says, while uncharacteristically looking me straight in the eye. This time, it was me who had to look away as all my female co-workers chimed in with "Awwwww!"

After a few seconds of shock - including time to think about how I was wearing a dirty apron over an all-black outfit with my hair thrown back in a ponytail and whatever makeup I managed to get on while still half asleep before work - I managed to get out, "Wow. That's pretty damn good Bill."

Somehow my day seemed much better after that.

And all it took was a simple complement.

Complement someone today. You never know how much it may mean to that person.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not only do you look beautiful but you are beautiful!!!!!Love, Mom