Saturday, March 22, 2008

Celebrity sighting - in person - not on TV

For some reason, I was given a four-day weekend off from my coffee shop job - from Friday to Monday. Not only was this fantastic, but because Friday was Good Friday, Brent had a three-day weekend off from work. That meant we had three full days of uninterrupted time together - something that is definitely scarce now that we live in the city!


So for the first time since I moved here, we went out for breakfast together. I suggested going to
Le Pain Quotidien near Central Park, which is where Sarah and I went during the infamous
egg-and-sweater-fuzz incident. I knew Brent would love it because all the food is not only delicious, but completely organic. Yum!


Afterward, I told Brent I wanted to make a quick stop at Strawberry, my favorite New York clothes store (because I can actually afford what's inside!), and Lee's Art Store, my favorite New York art store (because it's four floors of art-related paraphernalia and I've got wedding invitations to send out!).



He decided to ditch me in favor of basketball, and practically ran away while muttering something about missing the tip-off. As if he hasn't had the entire month to watch basketball. It's not called March Madness for nothing, honey!


But as it turned out, it was his loss. He can go ahead and watch basketball players on TV. On the walk home, I saw some of them in person. I happened to be passing by the Le Parker Meridien hotel on 57th Street when many VERY TALL men were coming out and boarding a big, black tour bus. I didn't recognize any of them at first, but judging by their size (they were H-U-G-E!) I knew they had to be basketball players.


Then I saw Carmelo Anthony and Allen Iverson and realized that I was looking at the Denver Nuggets. As if that wasn't hard enough for Brent to have missed out on, his favoritist basketball player is Allen Iverson. Ouch!


So as a consolation prize, I snapped a photo of A.I. for Brent, even though A.I. was sort of an asshole.


ALL the other players, including Carmelo Anthony, were stopping to sign autographs for the two kids and the few adults gathered around before boarding the bus.


But the second A.I. stepped out of the hotel, he started yelling, "It's too early! It's too early [to sign autographs]" and then blew past the fans and got on the bus. It was 12:30 p.m.


Though I can understand that it gets irritating to be asked for your autograph wherever you go, there were just TWO kids there. Come on, dude. Just whip out a pen to at least thrill the kids who probably idolize you. Jerk.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You remember that when you are a famous writer and someone asks you for your autograph....Mom