Thursday, March 20, 2008

Dinner in good company

As I've mentioned many times before, I love it when friends call me to say that they'll be in town and ask if I can catch up at some point. Of course I can. I really have nothing else to do other than work an average of five hours a day. I live a tough life!

So I was excited when Ryan, a friend from college who I worked with at the student newspaper, said he was coming into the city for a job interview. And I was even more excited that he had some time to catch up for dinner.

After working an awful shift that started at 4:45 a.m. at the coffee shop, I needed a nap before walking in the pouring rain to meet up with Ryan at the library across the street from the Museum of Modern Art.

I have to admit that I was a little nervous to be meeting up with him. Though we were pretty good friends during college, and even worked together at The Blade newspaper back in Toledo, he moved to Columbus and we've had very little contact for several months. What were we going to talk about?

It turned out, however, that I didn't have to worry a bit. We're both engaged, so we talked a lot about weddings and our fiance(e)s and also chatted about New York, his potential new editing job, and how he was looking forward to hopefully moving to the city.

So dinner at the Irish pub flew by, and we were soon headed off to the train station so he could grab the bus back to Ohio.

Here's to wishing my friend good luck for a job he really wants and for a friend I could really use here!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You didn't tell me about Ryan being in New York. I don't know why anyone who is in New York wouldn't look you up because they know they would have a fun time. I hope he does get a job there so you will be able to see more of each other but of course with your new spouses. Mom