Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I'm the boss... and I LOVE IT!

I have finally completed my supervisor's training at the coffee shop where I work and was entrusted with the responsibility of closing the store by myself for the first time last night.

Well, I had two other people there with me, but they looked to me for direction. I'm still not used to other employees - who have been working at the store way longer than me - coming up to me and asking me what I want them to do.

It was a bit stressful knowing that I was the one responsible for all the money in the store - and making sure everything balanced out the way it was supposed to - and any issues that cropped up (thankfully there weren't any major ones tonight). It was also a bit nerve-wracking knowing that I was supposed to make sure that everyone did what they were supposed to do, even though I'm still learning about what they're supposed to do myself.

But everything went smoothly and I got plenty of kudos on my closing - meaning everything that was supposed to be done was done - this morning by the store manager.

And I've learned something about myself. I THRIVE on being the boss. Well, OK, I already knew that, but this experience was definitely a reinforcement.

Plus, my manager noticed and said she can't wait until I go to this mandatory training that I have to go through because she said I'd be really good at it.

So all I need to do now is figure out what I want to do long-term for my career, actually get a job in that field (easier said than done), and work my way up to being the boss.

Yep. That's all I have to do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thats all you have to do and you can do anything you want. Does that sound like a true mom or what?