Saturday, March 1, 2008

What did I have to lose?

Anyone who knew me toward the beginning of my high school career would remember a shy, quiet, nerdy kid who stayed out of the limelight. It was hard for me to talk to new people because I was so self-conscious and preferred to just stick to myself.

Back then, I never would have had the guts to just go up to someone and say, essentially, "Give me an awesome job, please!" Plus, I never really was that desperate.

But now I'm ready to try just about anything (short of sleazy).

So when I walked into Club H for my workout the other day, I noticed a sign at the front desk saying "Welcome GLAAD Media!" Glancing into the lounge area, I spotted about 50 well-dressed people mingling, sipping drinks, and enjoying appetizers (yes, this was at my gym - it kicks ass, yo!)

After my workout, I called over one of the trainers I've gotten to know and asked him what the event was all about. He was less than helpful in knowing what was going on, but did encourage me to go and talk to some people when I told him I wished I had the courage to just go in there and strike up a conversation with these people, who are a part of the industry I am interested in.

With his encouragement, I somehow found the balls to waltz into the group of people - in my workout gear, mind you - and opened up a conversation with a friendly looking man who was standing near a table by himself.

He explained to me that GLAAD was the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation in the media - not exactly what I thought it was. Damn.

But... 30 minutes later, we finished our conversation with him giving me his business card and inviting me to e-mail him so he could let me know about the openings at his advertising firm that dreams up campaigns for Broadway shows.

SCORE!!!!

Before going into journalism, I had considered advertising and am DEFINITELY still interested in that industry. Coupled with the fact that his firm works with Broadway shows, and I think I may have a winner!

Even if it doesn't go anywhere, I'm still proud of myself for showing that initiative. The "old" Erika would have totally missed out on what could be a fantastic opportunity.

One big lesson I've learned since coming to the city is that it's all about networking.

Now if I only had a bigger network...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh out loud with this blog entry. It was too funny. Mom