Monday, February 25, 2008

Soon-to-be the boss

I started training today to be a supervisor at the coffee shop where I work - which is what I was hired for a few weeks ago. Since I was hired, I've been working to master the basics and am now finally ready to work to be the boss.

But it's so much harder than I anticipated.

The first step is spending four hours a day for two weeks reading a binder the size of a standard textbook, answering questions, and completing activities. Not only do I have to do that, but I also have to REMEMBER what I read. It's not like back in school where you read a chapter and are tested on a select few of the more important things that you read. Unfortunately, I have to remember it all. Sigh.

Besides all that, the store where I work is so busy, there is so much to remember, and there's almost too much to pay attention to at one time. It's so much more stressful than I thought it would be when I signed up for what I thought would be a nice, brainless job while I got settled into the city.

Plus, the hardest part is that I was hired a few weeks ago to supervise employees who have been with the company for weeks, months, or even years. They're well aware of how the store operates and most of them know their responsibilities.

I'm still new. How am I supposed to feel comfortable telling people what to do and when to do it in the same breath that I'm asking them what needs to be done and when it should be accomplished?

It's just a little weird. And a little too stressful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Breathe in and breathe out and enjoy the experience!!! It will be gone before you know it because you will soon be a successful writer!!!!Mom