Sunday, February 3, 2008

I KNEW I should have covered my ears

Today, I was innocently sitting in a workshop for my new coffee-shop job learning about the company, coffee, my new job, and its benefits when the presenter, Steve, started talking about the importance of cleanliness. Duh.

But in New York, cleanliness is necessary not only to keep away flies and bugs, but also rats.

Yep, that's right. Rats.

Then he asked, "Do you know how many rats there are in New York City?"

This is the point where I should have put my index fingers in my ears and started to hum the "American Idol" theme song.

Instead, I heard him say "According to the health department, there are SIX rats for every ONE person in New York City."

Now I'm not a math whiz, but I do know that there are 8 million people living in New York City. That means that there are... gulp... 48 MILLION rats living here with me.

Don't believe me? Well, rats as big as cats made national news less than a year ago. As long as you don't ever want to eat fast food in New York, click on the following link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvLDFtaL5HI

Yeeeeeeeeaaacccchhhhh!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Erin said...

And you chose to stay in New York after hearing this fact? What is wrong with you! Didn't you see that "Sex and the City" episode where Carrie has the rat crawl through her hair while she sleeps? :)

I'd walk around with a concealed baseball bat at all times, just in case.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can start a new "rat pack"!!!! You probably don't know what that means but the older people in your audience do.