Saturday, October 3, 2009

You're wearing scarlet and gray HERE? You're totally just asking for it.

Even though I grew up right near the Michigan/Ohio border, there's really no in-between. You're either a Michigan Wolverine or an Ohio State Buckeye. But because I spent most of my life living in Lambertville, Michigan, I've always cheered for the ferocious Wolverine over the state tree of Ohio. Obviously.

What wasn't so obvious until living in New York for awhile, though, is just how many other Wolverine fans also live here. It's not uncommon to see the block M on hats and coats of passers-by, and I've seen the maize and blue represented much more frequently than I've seen the scarlet and red O. This was no more evident than spending one Saturday afternoon at Professor Thoms in the East Village when the Wolverines (cough, lost, cough) to the Michigan State Spartans.

Standing (because there was no room to sit, much less have a personal space bubble) in the bar during that game was like standing in the student section in the Big House during the Ohio State/Michigan game. The energy was electric, and the cheering coming from both stories of the bar was, literally, deafening.

And even though the Wolverines weren't playing the Buckeyes, there was still a whole lot of animosity directed my because the guy Brent and I were meeting to catch up and have a few beers with was wearing an Ohio State shirt. Seriously. (Thanks, Jake.) Though I will say he took the jeering with good nature - as well as a tiny tree in the middle of a hungry pack of ferocious animals could do. Yeah.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go MICHIGAN!!!!!! Mom