Monday, October 26, 2009

Precisely why I bargain-shop

Living in New York City, I'm surrounded by all things high-end.

I live just a few blocks away from 5th Avenue, home to places like Tiffany's, Saks and purses in glass cases with price tags that cost more than my annual paycheck.

I live around the corner from Trump Tower International Hotel and the Ritz-Carlton Hotel, which overlook Central Park and have room rates that start at $695 per night (a one-bedroom Premier Park Suite that has access to the Club Lounge at the Ritz goes for $2,750 a night).

I'm surrounded by beautiful people who don't even go grocery shopping on a Sunday morning without full makeup, brand-name clothes, high heels, and armpit dogs.

And although my shopping habits haven't changed (I've always been a conservative sale-seeker), it's nearly impossible to spend the typical amounts I had been spending on shopping trips in Toledo. Sure, there's still Forever 21 and Old Navy, but there's also Bloomingdale's and Bergdorf Goodman.

My latest splurge (and trust me, they've been very few and far between) has been a pair of beige UGG boots. (I know, I know - totally cliche, but they're oh so warm and comfy!) Before taking this plunge, I had worn a hole into a pair of knock-offs, so at the urging of my husband, (What's wrong with him? When has any husband ever urged his wife to buy an expensive pair of shoes?!?! Proof that it's seriously rare that I splurge on anything! Plus, it was considered my Christmas gift, which let him off the hook to go shop for me.) I reluctantly handed over my American Express at the UGG store, even though the decimal point on the register came after three digits.

That was about a month ago, and I absolutely LOVE these boots. I wear them to work every day, except for when there's inclement weather or the threat of inclement weather (even though I should be wearing comfy boots WHEN there's inclement weather). This is important because I haven't even had time to truly break them in yet, and now they're ruined. That is, unless, I would prefer my beige boots have bright pink nail polish streaks all over them. Which I don't.

The pink nail polish was being stored in the freezer at my work because apparently it keeps longer, and when I opened the freezer to get out some bread, it fell and shattered on the linoleum and all over my boots.

Even though I immediately tackled the stains with a wet paper towel, it did nothing. Even though I was pissed, I was more upset at myself that I didn't just go with another pair of cheap knock-offs. That way I would have more of a "oh, well, it happens" kind of attitude instead of a WHAT WAS I THINKING TO SPEND SO MUCH MONEY ON A SINGLE PAIR OF SHOES?!?!

Yet, there's hope on the horizon. Even though I got turned down by six different dry cleaners, who said they could not be cleaned, our intern and another colleague know places that specializes in cleaning UGG boots, and American Express has a Purchase Protection Plan that will reimburse customers for items that have gotten stolen or damaged within 90 days of purchase. I'll be pursuing both of these options and see what I can do to fix them. Stay tuned for the results of this.

But I've learned my lesson the hard way. Besides being expensive, high-end items simply aren't worth it. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to Old Navy.

No comments: