Saturday, October 31, 2009

I get it - he's a weiner dog dressed up like a hot dog. How original.

If ever there was a day that I was cursing myself for leaving my camera - and my camera phone - at home, it was the day that I randomly stumbled upon a Halloween parade... for dogs.

Yes, people still dress up their dogs and yes, the people who attended the Upper West Side Dog Halloween Party at the 72nd Street dog run were no exception.

From Great Danes to Chihuahuas, I saw bumblebees, rock stars, ballerinas, sports fans, and dogs dressed up as I don't even know what.

And they were all HILARIOUS.

All these poor pups wanted to do was play fetch and gallivant around with the other dogs, and all their crazy owners wanted to do was make sure they STAY! and SIT! so as not to mess up their costumes.

I had intended to go on a walk with Chloe and my friend Amanda, who was getting off work right as I was passing by and decided to join me, but we couldn't pass up the opportunity to sit on a bench right beside the spot where all the (at least 50) dressed-up dogs were going to pass by parade-style while being judged in several categories, including "best costume" and "most original costume."

Although they were all pretty cute in a pathetic kind of way, Amanda and I had no problems picking out our favorites. She chose a gray Scottish terrier wearing a police cap whose head was sticking up through a hole in a box painted to look like a police car, and who was accompanied by about a 10-year-old boy.

I chose a tiny Chihuahua with a simple costume. He was wearing a tiny red saddle complete with a tiny jockey in a matching uniform who would bounce up and down to the gait of the pup while he ran. Adorable!

Both of our pups ended up winning in one category or another, but who cares - everyone loved just being there. Stumbling upon events like this is yet another reason to make me love NYC!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And why was Chloe not in this parade? What kind of a mother are you? She definitely would have won a prize!! Better get her in next year's parade. Seems as though my daughter was in a parade once. Hmmm. Mom