Friday, May 30, 2008

More fun with more visitors!

You just gotta love Facebook.com. Not only can you spy on people to see what they've been up to (not that I ever have... cough, cough...) you can rekindle old friendships really easily, which is something I value much more that I'm away from my friends and family.

So I was thrilled when my old friend Kim told me that she would be in the city and wanted to see if we could hang out.

Though I haven't seen Kim Krabach since high school - and even then I knew her as Kim Tabor - when we got together again, it was like we hadn't even been apart. We chatted about her family (she married another mutual friend of mine, Jeff, and the two of them have an adorable little boy, not quite two years old who they named Noah) her plans for the future, my upcoming wedding, my family, and other friends of ours from high school. It was just so great to kick back and relive old memories.

I met Kim and Noah on the east side of Central Park. Jeff was at work, so that left Kim, Noah, and I to hang out and explore the city. And since I am pretty unfamiliar with the east side, we spent more than an hour looking for a place to eat that was not ridiculously expensive. And since we were on the east side, which is home to the Upper East Side, also known as the place where no one in a million years could ever afford to live, that was no easy task.

Finally, we settled on a place called P.J. Clarks, which has another location a few blocks from my apartment. But since I had never been at that location, I figured it would be OK to eat there (I have vowed to try not to eat at the same place twice as long as I live in the city.)

After we ate a nice meal of hamburgers and fries, I checked out my iphone to see if there were any Pinkberrys nearby (there weren't) so we settled on plain, old ice cream (which was awesome, anyway).

After I dropped Kim and Noah off near the river where you catch the cable car to Roosevelt Island (where her sister lives), I saw that I was just four short blocks and, like 10 looooooong blocks from my apartment, so I decided to walk across the entire borough of Manhattan instead of taking the subway home. How long could it take? I had to go to 9th Avenue and I was on 1st.

It took 50 minutes, even with my long, power-walking strides! Man this city is huge!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I didn't know you wrote about my visit :) That was SO much fun and I loved that it was like picking up where we left off! Next time I'm in the City visiting my sister, I'll definitely give you a head's up so we can hang out again :) Love, Kim