Friday, May 23, 2008

Where else could you stumble onto the set of a movie?

New York City is fun in and of itself, but it's way more fun when you can experience it with someone else!

And since my fiance is always working, I had tons of fun with two of my cousins, Chris and Laura, recently. They were in town to visit some of Laura's family in New Jersey, but for one of the nights they were here, they left their two adorable young boys with their family there to spend an evening in the city. Though I was disappointed at that - in my mind, I had already planned stealing the kids away from their parents and taking them to the amazing playground/mini-water park in Central Park - I knew I could also have some fun with their parents.

But since I had to work in the morning, I directed them to The Met, then we met up later that evening and headed to the Hell's Kitchen location of the Chelsea Grill.

After a great dinner of a chicken sandwich, french fries, and beer, we strolled along to Times Square and capped off the evening with, of course, Pinkberry, before we headed back to my apartment for the night.

But on the way there, we passed by Columbus Circle, which is three blocks from my apartment. Even from a distance, I saw that it looked too busy, and as we got closer, I saw why. Most of the area had been blocked off by police and there were tons of people, spotlights, curtains, and cables snaking their way into the streets. Then we saw the guys behind the huge cameras and realized that we'd stumbled onto the set of a movie. (I took a photo of one of the cameramen from the center of Columbus Circle by the fountain and little green area near Central Park, which is why it looks like there's a jungle in the middle of Manhattan! But since I took it with my iphone, it's not very good, so look closely!)

So we did what anyone would do: We pretended we wanted to go into the mall so the police wouldn't stop us as we walked toward where all the lights were trained in front of the mall doors. Though we waited for a bit with a bunch of other people who were hanging out, the movie that they were filming remains a mystery. Every time someone would ask a crew member - so known because they all wore black hats with the word "crew" stiched on it - what it was he was doing, he'd reply "working."

And even the trusty old Internet didn't help us in trying to find out which movie was currently filming in New York. Guess we'll have to find out in a year or two!

No comments: