Monday, May 19, 2008

Anything but a vacation

This weekend is Brent and I's last one home in Toledo before (gulp!) the big day - our wedding.


Before we flew in, we sat down last Saturday and made a list of what we needed to get done.

Since it was so extensive, we actually had to break it down into an hour-by-hour list of where I was going to be, where Brent needed to be, and where we needed to meet up to finalize last-minute details together.



Here's what our weekend home was like - and it was anything but a vacation...



FRIDAY



9 a.m.: Brent and I drive separately to go together to his doctor's appointment.



10 a.m.: We again need to drive separately downtown to get our marriage license at the county courthouse. This was depressing in that while we were there, I could listen to the others filing for their licenses, many of whom had been divorced, had



12 p.m.: Closing on our condo (OH YEAH - WE FINALLY SOLD OUR CONDO! WOO-HOO!)

12:15 p.m.: I have my practice makeup appointment followed by my practice hair updo appointment at 1 p.m.



1 p.m.: He has an eye appointment.

3 p.m.: I have my final bridal gown fitting. (And was still a little too big in some areas, which means that the boot camp workouts are worth it!)



4 p.m.: I meet with my cousin, Gillian, who's designing the numbers that go on the tables at the reception as well as some poster boards with guests' names on them.



5 p.m.: Brent goes to a rehearsal dinner for a childhood friend who is getting married on Saturday.



7:30 p.m.: I meet up with my girls for my bachelorette party at Manhattans in downtown Toledo! Yay!



10:30 p.m.: I vaguely remember that I need to meet with the minister early Saturday morning as my cousin, Gillian, thrusts a drink called "the mind eraser" into my hands while we were at my (former) favorite downtown Toledo bar - Pub St. George. The reason it's now my former favorite bar is because at 10:30 p.m., my girls (and brother, who spent the majority of the night at my bachelorette party with his girlfriend for some reason) were the ONLY ONES AT THE BAR. Seriously - one of the bartenders was actually taking a nap in the corner. Sad.


11 p.m.: We take the party to my favorite Michigan bar, M.T. Loonies, where I have to stand outside in the cold while having to pee because my sister - who had my driver's license - wasn't there yet and the bouncer at the door didn't believe that I was 21.


11:30 p.m.: I introduce my brother to my favorite shot - a lime-green concoction called "the Scoobie Snack."


Midnight: I see one of the guys I had a mad crush on in high school and try to act casual while catching up with him even though I usually get tongue-tied while talking to him and was already rather tipsy.


12:30 p.m.: We weren't planning on having a stripper at my bachelorette party, so we convinced some random guy at the bar to take off his shirt for us. Awesome.


1:30 a.m.: All I'll say here is that my cousin Gillian snaps a ridiculous and extremely blackmail-able photo of both me and my sister, who happens to be my maid of honor who got WAAAAY more drunk than I did! Yikes.

SATURDAY


10 a.m.: I'm extremely proud of the fact that I don't have a terrible hangover as Brent and I head to the minister's home for a two-hour-long pre-marital counseling session. Guess I got the hang of the whole drink-pacing thing!


2:30 p.m.: Brent and I head over to the florist's home with his mom to talk about the flowers I'm envisioning.


2:35 p.m.: Brent continues to make faces at the flowers that I chose - Gerbera Daisies - because he says they're "ugly."


2:36 p.m.: I continue to ignore Brent because the flowers I chose are the most beautiful flowers in the universe. (Hey - he picked out the tux he'll be wearing... with minimal suggestions from me!)


5:35 p.m.: We arrive late (my bad!) for the wedding we were invited to at Olander Park. It was windy, but beautiful at the outdoor wedding and fun at the reception. I'm taking notes for my own wedding.


SUNDAY
I actually have a minute to relax before Brent and I head over to my parents' house for the bridal shower that my mom, sister, and cousin are throwing for me at 1 p.m. I'm there for the company, and fun games. Brent's there for the food and to play with the kids.

Though the shower was supposed to be outside, it was cold, windy, and looked like rain, so we moved it to my aunt's house - which is conveniently located next door to my parents' home.


I get to see an aunt, a cousin, and a few of my dad's aunts who I haven't seen in years.


For fun, I give out a quiz I created, titled "How Well Do You Know the Bride and Groom?"

Most people fail the quiz miserably, even though it was mostly multiple choice. Here are some sample questions:


-How many years older is Brent than Erika? (Answer: Almost 6)

-When did they first go out? (Answer: After Brent lost a bet.)

-Which city were the couple visiting when Brent proposed? (Answer: Las Vegas)

-What is Brent's secret girly vice? (Answer: He religiously watches The Hills and other shows about teen angst.)


As it turns out, Brent's mom and sister know us the best, even though the quiz was worth 20 points and they only got 16 and 17 questions right. But they got prizes for knowing us the best, anyway.


Also during the afternoon, I was given many wonderful gifts, including the much-needed luggage; kitchen items, including champagne flutes, recipes, and trivets; and tons of coffee paraphernalia as a sort of ode to my coffee shop job, including a coffee maker, a coffee grinder, coffee mugs, a frothing pitcher, and steam wand. Now I can make cappuccinos at home!


MONDAY
9 a.m.: Brent heads to the dentist.


10 a.m.: I have a second spray tan appointment to get ready for the big day!


11 a.m.: Brent and I meet up with a representative at the Toledo Botanical Gardens to ensure we know what goes where at our wedding site.


Noon: Brent and I head over to J. Foster Jewelers so I can pick out some earrings for my birthday present/wedding gift.


1 p.m.: Brent and I run little errand after little errand to places like AT&T and Wal-Mart to get last minute things done before catching the plane back to NYC.


So little time and yet still so much to do!

No comments: