Sunday, December 9, 2007

We're not gonna paaaayyyyyy


I've wanted to see the musical Rent ever since I really got into seeing musicals in high school. But for whatever reason, I never did. But I always said that I wanted Rent to be my first Broadway show.

Yesterday it was. And it... was... AWESOME.

It was totally worth the hour-long wait that my mom and I endured in the freezing cold hoping to get tickets the day of the show for half the price. Score!

So even though I was feeling like crap because of an awful cold, I totally forgot I was sick while watching the show with my mom and Brent. It was impossible not to get drawn into the story, which for Brent was a bit tough to follow because he didn't know what the musical was about before we got to the theatre.

The singing was nothing short of phenominal. Although, I have no idea how some of them could sing an entire song because they were constantly moving, gyrating, and climbing around the stage sets that were constructed with items you'd find at a junkyard.

I don't think my back actually touched the back of my seat, especially when the cast sang "Rent" and "Seasons of Love" (which I performed as a cast member of a talent show in high school and have always loved). But I think I really annoyed the guy sitting in front of me because I kept tapping my feet to the music and bumping his chair, but I couldn't stop!

The only downside for me was that Tamyra Gray, who I loved when she was on the first season of American Idol, was supposed to play the dynamic part of Mimi, but she wasn't there that night.

Darn. I guess I'll have to see it again. (Yay!)

No comments: