Friday, December 7, 2007

The New York I "knew"

The first time I saw New York City was in March, 2007. At that time, the only thing I knew about the city for sure was that I'd be moving there - the city that's home to the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building, and Broadway musicals (on Broadwaaaayyyyy!!!).

So en route to the city, I jotted down what I knew about New York, which essentially came from news reports, TV, and friends who spent time living there or visiting. Here's what I came up with:

It's HUUUUUUGE!! The buildings are probably so tall that they block out the big blue sky that I'm used to seeing in Ohio.

I always need to be on my toes watching out for muggers, rapists, and all around bad people.

I'll most likely get flipped the bird more than I actually see birds. People will be regularly shoving, yelling, and belittling each other because there will be no elbow room anywhere.

The city will be a place of many colors - a sea of yellow taxis and people of all races. However, the only color I WON'T see is green, as in trees or grass.

Our apartment will most likely be the size of a walk-in closet where we'll cram all our stuff in every corner of the dark and dirty, roach-infested place. Since our apartment will be so small, we'll have to trade in our German Shepherd mix in for a Chihuahua.

Instead of squirrels, we'll see rats.

Starbucks will be the only staple on every corner.

I'll stick out like a sore thumb becasue I don't have the model looks nor am I anorexic. In addition, I don't own many designer clothes and can't justify spending the money it will take to wear the labels that most everyone else will be walking around in: Prada, Gucci, etc.

If I'm hungry for a basic sandwich, I'll need at least a $10 bill. Since I'm not willing to spend $10 every time I want lunch, I'll probably lose tons of weight!

Since I'll have no car, I'll be walking everywhere because I can't see spending money every single time I want to leave my apartment.

Needless to say, living in New York City will be a bit of a change. Heck, there are still some side streets in Lambertville, Michigan, that haven't yet been paved!

Only time will tell whether I'm right!

No comments: