Saturday, December 5, 2009

Nah, nah, nah, nah, hey, hey, hey... GOODBYE!!

Even though I have been waiting for this day since the first day I was hired back in January, 2008, I still left the coffee shop for the final time as an employee with mixed emotions.

On one side, I was absolutely thrilled to never again set my alarm for 4:05 a.m., be at work after midnight, or go from one job to another. Because I work typical hours at the food magazine, I will have weekends again – meaning two whole days where I don’t have to be at or worry about work. And most of all, I was looking forward to forever closing the chapter of my life where I will have to utter, “Welcome to [some food establishment]. What can I get for you?” like a broken record while at work.

On the other hand, I got a bit teary-eyed at the thought of not seeing my colleagues, many of whom are now my friends, and some of the customers whom I’ve gotten to know and really like on a daily basis.

But then I cheered right up thinking about how I could CHOOSE to see the people who I would miss simply by walking into the coffee shop – without my hat or apron – for a visit. It would be a visit where I could stay for as much or as little as I wanted without having to worry about being late or having a certain number of hours ahead of me before I could leave.

So knowing that I will never again be a barista, and will be able to enjoy what has now become a foreign concept to me – free time - is a blissful feeling. It’s something that can be filled with painting or knitting classes, another basketball team, walks in the park with Chloe, or simply enjoying a glass of wine at home in front of the TV.

Who needs a vacation when I have the simple pleasure of FREE TIME!

No comments: