Monday, April 11, 2011

The New York I Actually Know. And Will Miss.

I moved to New York City from Lambertville, Michigan, four years ago. I knew at the time that this new chapter of my life would be an incredible adventure, and was smart enough back then to start and maintain this blog.


I have experienced both the absolute best and lowest worst times in my life to date here. I've done things I never imagined I'd ever do - both good and bad, unfortunately - and have come out on the other side a completely different person.




Professionally, I got rejected over and over again in the cutthroat publishing industry even after attending a competitive publishing course at NYU, but eventually landed a job where my food options and experiences expanded threefold and I ate for a living at the most amazing restaurants in NYC.

And just living in the city of opportunity opened up doors for me to accidentally become an actresssing in a bandbecome an artistendure some barbaric beauty proceduresplay basketball with the greatest people ever, and have many one-night stands. I also found my soulmate.

And now it's time to go - ironically in the same timeframe as the faceless woman at B&N

The New York I "knew" was the second post on this blog. I wrote it before moving here, and re-read it right before writing this post. Time has passed and I wanted to set the record straight:

Assumptions I made about New York that proved true (with small incorrect parts struckthrough):
  • It's HUUUUUUGE!! 
  • Our apartment will most likely be the size of a walk-in closet where we'll cram all our stuff in every corner of the dark and dirty, roach-infested place. Since our apartment will be so small, we'll have to trade in our German Shepherd mix in for a Chihuahua.
  • Instead of squirrels, we'll see rats.
  • The city will be a place of many colors - a sea of yellow taxis and people of all races. 
  • Starbucks will be the only staple on every corner.
Assumptions that now make me laugh (comments from today in italics):
  • I always need to be on my toes watching out for muggers, rapists, and all around bad people.
  • I'll most likely get flipped the bird more than I actually see birds. People will be regularly shoving, yelling, and belittling each other because there will be no elbow room anywhere. 
  • The buildings are probably so tall that they block out the big blue sky that I'm used to seeing in Ohio. And the only color I WON'T see is green, as in trees or grass. (Might have been true had I not moved four blocks from Central Park.)
  • I'll stick out like a sore thumb because I don't have the model looks nor am I anorexic. In addition, I don't own many designer clothes and can't justify spending the money it will take to wear the labels that most everyone else will be walking around in: Prada, Gucci, etc. (Everyone just wears black. All the time.)
  • If I'm hungry for a basic sandwich, I'll need at least a $10 bill. Since I'm not willing to spend $10 every time I want lunch, I'll probably lose tons of weight! (Only $10, Erika? HA! And losing weight with the amazing restaurants here? HA!)
This small-town girl is leaving the big city both against my will and willingly because I know it's time. I've grown into my own here, spread my wings, got a pretty sharp edge, and had some all-too-real life lessons, but it's time to grow in different and hopefully positive ways. Besides, I've got another big city waiting for me. 


This now small-town girl at heart is on to the next big city...





No comments: