Thursday, July 16, 2009

"Best friends, never gonna let you down, best friends, always gonna be around, you know..."

Remember back in grade school when you became instant friends with another girl in your class just because your lunch boxes had the same cartoon character on the front? It was so easy.


And luckily, that's kind of how I feel about my New York friends. Being friends with them is, well, easy. People ask me how I met my closest New York friend and we look at each other awkwardly and say, "the gym" because it was the place we both happened to be when taking the most awkward class ever, yet continued to go only because we liked each other's company. (And I'm happy to say that while I still see her every week, it's no longer at the gym because we both quit in favor of meeting at the park for a walk with my dog or at a bar for cocktails.)


As for several of my other New York friends, we're friends because our T-shirts say the same thing: Zogsports. They're the ones on my basketball team who I'm hanging out with more and more off the courts, both after the games and on the weekends.


And then there are the friends who I had before I moved here, and have since moved here as well or visit often.


So last night was the ultimate hangout when I had friends from all three groups meet up with me at Gael Pub to see Rusty's European Tour, the band I sang with when their lead singer was on vacation.

Good friends, good beer, and good music. What more could you want?

No comments: