Sunday, April 19, 2009

You don't even need to be here to get a taste of New York

One of the things that I love about New York that I've been to places in New York even before setting foot in this city for the first time.

I was mentally in New York while reading books set in the city Rex and the City or while watching movies on sets in New York City, like Ghostbusters.

I saw the movie Big Daddy starring Adam Sandler well before moving to the city, but it's always cool to see the spot in Central Park where he threw sticks in front of Rollerbladers.

But apparently, some scenes in the movie were more significant to others.

"Hey guys, welcome to Hooters! Any of you ever been here before?" our scantily clad waitress asked of myself and my friends Rigo and Amanda after we decided to grab a bite after my art gallery opening at the Hooters located just more than a block away from my apartment.

"I have," both Amanda and I replied, then looked at our friend Rigo, the only guy at our table, who shook his head no.

"You've never been to a Hooters before?" I asked him.

"Never," he replied.

"Oh, well then let me tell you about us!" our waitress squealed about the restaurant . I then obviously expected her to go over the menu, and tell him about their (admittedly awesome) burgers or something.

"Ever seen the movie Big Daddy?" she asks.

We all nod yes.

"Well, they filmed that scene at the end right over there," she said enthusiastically, pointing to a front alcove of the restaurant, and then proceeded to tell us the logistics of needing to close the restaurant to get all the equipment and the actors in the restaurant to film the scene.

"OK then! What can I get you?" she asks after her movie pitch, without telling us anything about the menu or their specials.

So we tell her we need a minute, and watch her skip away to the next table.

Gotta love New York.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now I gotta see the movie.....Mom