Thursday, September 4, 2008

Not the kind of Usher I had at my wedding, though it would have been nice!

"For the love of God, would you PLEASE SHUT UP AND LET ME SLEEP," I thought, frustrated, at 7:30 a.m.

For once, I got to sleep in until a blissful 9:30 a.m., but the excessive horn-honking from the street below my window - WAAAAAYYYYY more than usual for New York City, anyway - was making dreamland impossible.

So I threw off the covers, angerly swept aside the curtain from my bedroom window, and saw cars bottle-necked in all four directions at the nearby intersection. Police were trying to sort out the mess, but apparently it wasn't quick enough for those pesky New York cabbies.

Even though I had an inkling that there might be extra traffic near my apartment today, I had no idea it would be this bad EIGHT HOURS before a concert at Columbus Circle, featuring Usher and Keith Urban, to celebrate before the NY Giants' opener.

But hey - who was I to complain? I didn't have to navigate through car traffic. All I had to do was worry about foot traffic after work as I changed into street clothes and moseyed around the block to enjoy the concert - for FREE!

I admit that before I went, I imagined that there would probably be a stage set up for Usher and Keith Urban to perform, but I wasn't expecting a complete transformation of Columbus Circle into an amazing outdoor concert venue.

The streets were closed off to make way for a HUGE stage, complete with platforms all around it and a giant background screen so those of us who didn't get there eight hours ahead of time could still see the performers, even from a block or two away.

And even though the concert was free, there was only one way in. For me, I had to walk a few blocks east, then north one block before turning back to walk back toward my apartment and toward the main stage.

After passing a bunch of different booths of advertisers - and picking up a free T-shirt that said "I (heart) GMC" - I maneuvered around groups of people dancing and cheering for Usher, who was performing when I got there.

I have never been to an Usher concert before, but wasn't surprised that he was a great performer. And I never really realized how hot he is -especially when he ripped off his shirt during a song. Wow-eee!

Even though the concert was free, and the music was great, I didn't stay for a long time because I felt a little awkward being there by myself. But hey, it was something to do!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You poor dear. Wish I would have been there with you rocking with Usher.Mom