Saturday, September 20, 2008

Extra parmesan, please!

If Brent and I do go out, it's on Saturday nights, but I'm usually the one who's pushing for doing something fun. So that's why it was a pleasant surprise when Brent told me out of the blue to call a place called Lombardi's and make a reservation for Saturday.



Even though they don't take reservations on weekends, that didn't stop Brent and I from heading downtown to eat at New York City's first pizzeria.



In going there, I learned that, unsurprisingly, New York City was the birthplace of New York-style pizza (which is very thin pizza without a whole lot of sauce, but a good amount of cheese and big toppings). And Lombardi's was licensed by the City of New York in 1905, making it America's first pizzeria.

Since this pizza place has been perfecting pizza - which is pretty awesome on its own - for more than 100 years, I had high expectations for it.

After waiting for about 45 minutes for a table, we would our way to the back of this restaurant, and through the kitchen, to our quaint table alongside a wall of photos. The most memorable were the ones with the guy feeding pizza to a monkey sitting on his lap in the restaurant (health department must have taken a sick day!) and the ones of the owner shaking hands with celebrities, like Robin Williams.


Though it seemed like a long wait for our large pizza with pepperoni and tomatoes, it was probably because we both saved tons of room to taste this pizza! Plus, it was nice to just sit back with our Diet Cokes and have a conversation with my husband.



When the pizza finally arrived, I have to say it was good, but it wasn't fantastic. It had everything it was supposed to have, but nothing about it stood out. I've had other pizza in New York, and it tasted about the same. I think I was disappointed because I hyped up the place so much in my mind, but apparently all New York City pizza is just that - New York City pizza.

But hey, it was an evening out with my husband at a true New York City jewel!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't be as good as the Elbo Room. That is probably why you were so disappointed. Mom