Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I will remember you

I had to say goodbye today to someone who, in the grand scheme of life, I have known for barely even a measurable amount of time.

What made this particular goodbye especially hard is that this person, Nick, was there for me virtually every second of the most difficult period in my life.

He was the first person who spoke to me while I was in the midst of the bewildering "how did I get to this point in my life?" speech with myself, the person I vented to when I was angry or upset, and the person I would seek out with tears in my eyes when I didn't want to cry alone.

And now - for reasons I understand, but find hard to accept - we're going our separate ways. I am grateful that today I had the opportunity to thank him for how much his friendship has meant to me in such a short time both out loud and in a heartfelt note that I wrote him, but the fact that I still had to say goodbye still stings.

It's almost enough to cause me not to want to get to know someone - almost - because saying goodbye is always the most difficult, tear-producing moment for me, along with the feelings of loss for a period of time after the fact. But I'd never trade the time I spent with my friend.

But I sincerely wish Nick the best, and know he'll succeed in life, and think Sarah McLachlan says it best with the refrain from "I Will Remember You":

"I will remember you / Will you remember me? / Don't let your life pass you by / Weep not for the memories."

No comments: