Monday, July 12, 2010

Shirt, check. Shoes, check. Pants...

“What’s with the weird look on your face?” I ask our chef who was giving out this really strange vibe.

Nuuuthinnnn,” he drew out quietly.

“No, seriously. What’s the deal?” I ask.

“It’s just... I’m at work. And I have no pants on. It’s just weird.”

“Yeah, but it’s also funny!” I said laughing.

The poor guy showed up at the office dripping from head to toe because he gave his umbrella to his girlfriend, and I was not about to make him sit in front of the air conditioner (his desk actually blocks the air conditioner, which is constantly blowing out cold air right at him) in wet clothes.

Since it was just the two of us in the office for the next hour, I told him that was enough time to dry his clothes in the dryer located on the same floor as our office, and no one had to know about it.

So, he put on the shirt that he stowed in his bag, but since he didn't have another pair of pants, I set to work trying to find the smallest towel I could find for him to wrap around his waist while waiting for his clothes to dry. (Did I mention that our chef is incredibly hot?)

"Did you put everything in the dryer?" I ask him when he comes back from the laundry room wearing his dry shirt, a red beach towel, and flip flops.

"Well, my boxers were kinda damp, but I don't care," he said. "Those are staying on!"

"Good plan," I said. "So... is it just me or is it a bit drafty in here?"

"Really? Are you really going to go there?" he said, trying hard to conceal a smile before turning to walk away from my laughter to his desk in the other room.

To my credit, I wait around five minutes before continuing the teasing.

"Hey - did you forget your bagpipes at home?" I yell to him in the other room. "Are you trying to pay homage to your Scottish ancestry, even though you're Filipino?"

"I'm not even... it's not...," he starts, before I stop laughing long enough to hear his defeated sigh. "Whatever."

So true to my word, his clothes were dry well before anyone else got to the office. But what fun would it be if no one else knew about it? So I made sure to fill everyone in at lunch, mostly because our chef is quite easygoing and was laughing right along with the rest of us. Completely inappropriate, yes, but also pretty dang funny.

No comments: