Friday, July 9, 2010

"Nakey! Nakey!" She's not even 5 years old, and she's already a pathological liar.

“What? You let Aunt E sleep in?” my mother-in-law incredulously asked my 4-year-old niece, Katelyn, as I trudged downstairs at 9:15 a.m. after our sleepover. In toddler time, by 9:15 a.m. I should have had at least three tea parties, watched two episodes of Spongebob Squarepants, baked a batch of Pink Princess Cupcakes, and went to a ball after being dolled up in a ridiculously glittery gown. “I thought you went upstairs to wake her up,” she asked.


“I did, but Aunt E was NAKED,” Katelyn announced.


“What?!” I replied, staring down at my niece who was smiling widely. “What are you talking about? No I wasn’t!!”


“Yes you were!” she replied, giggling hysterically. “You and Uncle Brent were NAKED!”


“Oh so now Uncle Brent was supposedly naked too?” I ask her like I’m supposed to have a rational conversation with a 4-year-old. “We were NOT naked. We both were wearing the pajamas we had on for our pajama party last night.”


Nakey! Nakey!” starts up my almost 3-year-old niece, Mackenzie. “You were NAKEY!”


OK, while I admit that I don’t necessarily always go to bed wearing both a top and bottoms, I most certainly will make sure to be fully dressed before falling asleep when I know that I’ll most likely be woken up at a ridiculous hour by two toddlers absolutely NEEDING to play beauty salon and go to the park and ride in the golf cart and color and make animals with Play-Doh ALL RIGHT NOW.


But luckily I have an awesome mother-in-law so it’s not like I was embarrassed or anything – I just had no idea where my nieces get these things from or why they felt the need to REPEAT the lie all day, including when their parents came to pick them up after dinnertime. Don’t kids usually forget about stuff or move on by then? Apparently, not these little monsters.


But who are you gonna believe – me or these two adorable angels? Even though, to set the record straight, I WAS wearing shorts and a tank top, I’m not sure I can compete with their charm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh those two are adorable! I haven't seen them in so long... I tend to believe them though about being nakey, nakey. Mom