Thursday, July 2, 2009

Still can't imagine...

I've blogged numerous times about how surprised I am about how safe I feel while walking to work at 4:30 a.m. or walking my dog before going to bed at 11:30 p.m. And rightfully so. Even though I live in Midtown Manhattan, there's always delivery people, other dog walkers, etc. also out and about on their own business.

Of course you have to balance those feelings of safety with different types of danger, which the Metro newspaper put so eloquently today in headline form: "NYPD warns city still a bull's-eye for terror" and a lead that read: "Osama bin Laden is alive and plotting another attack on New York."

Even though I wasn't a NYC resident on 9/11, I've made a point to ask several people who I've become friends with who were here at that time. Even if they weren't anywhere near the twin towers that day, it not surprisingly affected them in ways much different from how it affected me living three states away at that time. Though each story is different, each also has the undertones of the utmost respect for those who worked to rescue people from the rubble and sympathy for those who lost someone that day.

And even though I've talked to numerous people about that day, I still have no way to even fathom having actually been here while it was happening. And I pray to God I never will.

1 comment: