Saturday, July 4, 2009

Oh beautiful, for spacious skies...

Every family has their own traditions when it comes to the holidays, and mine has a rich tradition surrounding the Fourth of July. Every year, my dad's siblings (11 of them total) plus spouses and kids - plus some of their extended family and friends - hang out at my parents' house all day to swim, play volleyball, eat, drink visit, and, of course, blow off fireworks.

After blowing up the Christmas tree, there's more eating and drinking leading up to the unbelievable fireworks show my Uncle Chris - who lives next door to my parents - puts on every year. As far back as I can remember, there used to be one or two rows of spectators. That's grown to at least five rows of people of all ages.

Unfortunately, living in New York, I have had to miss the Fourth of July celebration for the past two years. Last year, I (kind of) went to the Macy's fireworks show in New York. This year, it came to me.

Last year's show was over the East River. This year, it was over the Hudson, but after seeing the sheer numbers heading toward New Jersey all day, I was not willing to join the crowds.

Instead - since Brent and I live in an apartment building without rooftop access; which wouldn't help since it's only six stories high - we cuddled up on the couch and tuned the TV to the events that were happening just a few blocks away (ridiculous, I know, but I never knew what the word "crowd" meant until I moved to New York).

What was surreal was that a second after the first fireworks were shot off, I heard an unmistakable KA-BOOM! So I muted the TV, yet heard it again even louder a few seconds later. If I were just watching the fireworks on TV, I would only see them and hear the patriotic music they were being set off to. But since they were being shot off just a few blocks away, I could hear every one just seconds after seeing them on TV. It was like I was there with everyone else, but while still in the comfort of my own home. And there's nothing like the New York fireworks show.

Happy birthday, America!

No comments: