Monday, May 11, 2009

I spent $21 in New York City and all I got was this delicious cheeseburger

On New Year's Eve 2004, I found myself in Chicago with a friend, and the two of us were having dinner with two of his friends at a nice steakhouse. It was my first time spending a good amount of time in a city any bigger than Toledo, and everything about it just felt weird, uncomfortable, and different.

For one thing, I was absolutely shocked when the bill came for the four of us. With appetizers, entrees, and one round of drinks, the bill came to just more than $300. Up until that point in my life, that bill represented the most I'd ever spent on one dinner, and I was embarrassed that my steak contributed to that exorbitant amount.

What was more shocking to me, however, is that the two guys I was with - who grew up in Queens, New York - saw the bill, laughed, and said it was "weak" for four people. At that time I thought they were absolutely nuts.

Fast forward to May 9, 2009, at my birthday dinner with myself, my mom, and my husband at a nice steakhouse in New York City. We too ordered an appetizer, one round of drinks, and one steak entree each. Because we knew the dinner would end with a free chocolate treat (and that my mom was planning on bringing cupcakes to my birthday party at Bar 9), we decided against dessert. And the bill came to more than $200 for the three of us.

I had déjà vu when I saw the bill because once again I was shocked. But this time, I was shocked that I, in all sincerity, was the one calling that bill "weak" for three people.

It's unfortunate, but living here for nearly two years has desensitized me to the fact that it's no longer shocking that a lunch of two burgers and a shared regular-sized fries and diet coke at Five Guys costs more than $21. Now don't get me wrong - I'm pissed when I have to fork over that much money for a burger when back in Ohio I could just order my favorite Jr. Bacon cheeseburger off the 99-cents menu at Wendy's. Sure I'm pissed, but I'm not surprised.

I think what's helped the most in my desensitization process is working at the coffee shop, where I see the same customers day in and day out. And that includes the woman who comes in and orders two large dry cappuccinos (read: espresso with very little milk, but mostly just foam) and pays just under $10 for them. Every day. People here just expect - and accept - that living in New York City requires them to pay a ridiculous amounts of money for everything - even their daily coffee.

I guess this means I've jumped on the bandwagon. I wonder what my husband would say if I actually came home wearing Jimmy Choo shoes or toting a Prada purse. Eh, if he says anything (not that I'd EVER do that. Come on.) I'd just show him this post and say, "When in Rome..."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Like you would ever buy anything like that. But why not?????Mom