Monday, January 12, 2009

It's totally the ball, guys. You try playing with a women's basketball while you watch us girls dominate!

When it comes to basketball, I am an addict.

I actually feel an urge to play basketball, especially when I've not been able to play for a long period of time.

But since I live in New York and the gyms I can afford here are the size of my one-bedroom apartment, (if your gym has a pool or a basketball court, you can expect to pay $3,000+ a year for those benefits) I haven't been able to play IN A LONG TIME.

So when I came across an opportunity to sign up for a weekday, co-ed, after-work league last month, I couldn't sign up fast enough. Not only would I be able to FINALLY PLAY SOME BASKETBALL, but I also hoped to meet some really cool people doing so. This league is 3-on-3 and there has to be at least one girl on the court at all times.

The cool thing about ZogSports in the city is that you can sign up for virtually any sport, including softball, kickball, rugby, ultimate Frisbee, etc. as an individual, and they will place you on a team with other individuals who also don't know anyone and who just want to play.

After meeting with your teammates, you're supposed to decide on a team name and a charity to play for. If you win the championship game, a bunch of money goes to the charity of your choice. So far, ZogSports has raised more than $525,000 for charity, which just kicks ass.

After the games, which for basketball are in three elementary school gyms in Manhattan, organizers announce the official bar to go to afterward. Their slogan is, "We cannot force you to drink, but we can strongly encourage it."

Yesterday was our first basketball meeting and scrimmage. There are seven members of my team - four girls and three guys - and I met two of the guys and two of the girls. Everyone is super nice, and even though we only won one of our games (tied another one and lost two), I thought it definitely was because we don't know each other's playing skills well enough.

But I like Beth's opinion better: we're playing with a men's basketball, which puts us women at a fundamental disadvantage. Yeah, it's the ball.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to watch you play when I come to NY. Maybe you will need someone to fill in. Mom