Thursday, September 23, 2010

Just one more drink isn't going to hurt us

"I dunno... you really think we can handle one more?" I asked my basketball teammate and friend, In-Ho, as we sat outside Jake's Saloon after our basketball game with drinks and what turned out to be disgusting chicken and mango spring rolls.


"I'm not sure. We might regret it in the morning," he replied, as we both laughed.


"It's always that last one that kills you, right?" I say. "But... I think we should totally do it."


"Yeah, we can handle it," he agreed. "What's one more?"


"OK," I said, turning to the waiter. "Can we have another Coke and one more cranberry juice?"


"I'm almost embarrassed that we ordered that," In-Ho said after the waiter walked away.


"Who the hell cares?" I replied. "You're still recovering from a crazy drunken night yesterday and I don't want to drink alcohol, yet we still wanted to hang out somewhere, so we went to the bar and ordered virgin drinks. It's not like you HAVE to drink alcohol when you go to the bar. We're still drinking. Look... [I take a long swig of my juice from a straw] I'm drinking right now!"


"Yeah but it's not the same," he said. "Bars are kinda lame without alcohol."


"You know what?" I said. "You're kinda right. Apparently bars need alcohol so people will go to them. Because now I'm noticing how dingy this place is. But I still like hanging out with you."

"Yeah," he replied. "Me too so I guess it's OK."

No comments: