Monday, March 16, 2009

Are you ready for some FOOTBALL!?!?!?

I have apparently decided that my 1,264 extracurricular activities aren't enough, so I was recently easily persuaded to join a touch football team.

Ever since I could run, I remember playing two-hand-touch football in my parents' backyard with my siblings and my Uncle Chris - who conveniently lives next door to my parents - as quarterback.


So I am relatively competent as a receiver and do well on defense. (I can count to "5-one-thousand" like a champ!)


I already play basketball for Zogsports, so when my gym buddy, Janine, told me how much she wanted to play, I suggested that we join a Zog football team. And since my basketball buddy, Matt, wanted to join as well, the three of us signed up and are now members of "Thought You Meant Soccer." Hahaha!


Our first game was this past weekend, and our starting quarterback and safety were out of town. So we got walloped by the team we played - which, in our defense, had played together for six years and the girls were wearing matching shorts that said "Really Tight Ends" on their asses.


But it was more fun than I thought it would be, since I was anticipating a group of hard-core guys who would yell at me if I dropped a pass. Apparently guys who care that much stay somewhere out of the realm of this casual, weekend football league. But I will say that although I didn't drop anything, I did have this sweet, diving catch that got us a first down (two completions or crossing the 50-yard-line equals a first down; three first downs allowed per drive down the field or you overturn the ball).

Plus, as promised by yet another member of my basketball team who's played football on the same team for two years, footballers are way more into drinking after the games, as evidenced by the fact that we all walked (minus two guys, who hobbled after getting a sprained ankle and strained knee, respectfully, during the game) to the nearest bar after our painful loss, though it was just 1 p.m. on a Saturday afternoon.

Extracurriculars rock, man.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wish I could see a football game too while in NY. Mom