Tuesday, October 7, 2008

At home on the set of a popular TV show

One morning earlier this week, I woke up to literally being on the set of a TV series.

I've said it many times before, but seriously: only in New York.

For a week or so, I've been reminded that the simple task of walking my dog around the block or even walking out of my building might be difficult via the following posted warning on our front door:

"'Law and Order, Special Victims Unit' is scheduled to film in your neighborhood on Monday, Sept. 30 from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. We will try to not cause any neighborhood interruptions."

This has, obviously, never happened to me before, so I didn't quite know what to expect when taking my dog out of the building.

My first impression? TV shows need a hell of a lot of crap. First of all, trailers took up 56th Street from 9th Avenue to 10th Avenue. Many of them were labeled with actors' names, yet I didn't see any of them, though I dawdled quite a bit with Chloe.

Turning the block, all I saw were miles of cables connected to scaffolding, speakers, poles, etc.

One more block turned up tables of food, and another trailer devoted to providing the food right on set.

But still, I didn't SEE any actors. Apparently, they were filming inside the high school that's across the street from my apartment building. Dangit! TV stars right on my block and I didn't even catch a glance at one of them.
But hey, maybe I'll catch a shot of my building in one of their episodes!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, but since Gov. Granholm pushed legislation in Michigan to give massive tax credits the state probably cant afford to moviemakers who film here, we have been overrun by film crews setting up overnight. Among the stars running around here lately have been Clint Eastwood, who filmed large portions of Gran Torino due out in Sept. in the metro Detroit area, including some scenes near where Chris Hall lives (I wish I could play you her voice mail to me describing her first time seeing him, its a hoot); Drew Barrymore, Cuba Gooding Jr., Sigourney Weaver (USA network movie), and others. The crews just pop up overnight and next thing you know your morning commute is disrupted.... Jim

Anonymous said...

You are a star in my eyes!!!!Mom