Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I'd better be squeezing little droplets of gold in my eye

Maybe it was the stress of being an important part of a beautiful wedding.

Maybe it was the travel involved, or maybe it was the rushing from one committment to another.

Regardless of how it happened, I developed an eye infection that will prevent me from using contacts for anywhere from seven to 14 days.

I thought it was pinkeye because my right eye started to become inflamed and all this white goop started coming out of the corners.

So I called an optomologists' office that was covered by my insurance, and was actually transferred to the doctor so I could speak with him personally on the phone. After hearing about my problem, he said I could come in right away. And no, I did not make this up nor was this some dream I had. Doctors in New York City rock, yo.

But when I got there, the optomologist I went to said even my "healthy" left eye wasn't looking so great either. Yikes. Apparently contacts designed to be thrown away after two weeks shouldn't be worn for months at a time. Who knew?

That means that I've dusted off my probably 3-year-old glasses and will be forced to look like a total nerd for two weeks. Some people look good in glasses. I'm not one of them. Sigh.

Plus, even though my prescription eyedrops were covered by insurance, I still had to pay $50 for them. That's right - FIFTY DOLLARS for a tiny bottle of eyedrops. And when I say a tiny bottle, I mean TINY. Look at how it's dwarfed by my salt shaker. It's madness.

It had better be holding little droplets of gold for what I paid for them. That or it had better cure my eye infection and magically make me have 20/20 vision. Then I wouldn't feel as ripped off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should think of lasik or get designer glasses so you can look like a glamorous model??? After all you are in New York... Maybe that can be a project when I come in October, looking for glasses.Mom